[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

123

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello.

Can somebody explain what is the advantage/inconvenient to use msei18n vs PO
files (like fpGUI does)?

What is the goal of mse18n (and more generally 18n)?

Thanks.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr fredvs,

Sie schrieben am Thu, 28 Feb 2019 07:30:15 -0700 (MST):

> Can somebody explain what is the advantage/inconvenient to use msei18n vs
> PO files (like fpGUI does)?
>
> What is the goal of mse18n (and more generally 18n)?

Well, for _msei18n_ specifically, I can provide some information.
Namely that it is not only an internationalzation function like the .po
files for translation of control elements and such.
It is much more generally useable - and it's because of such a use that I
know - to build variants of (GUI) programs by means of parametrizing the
control elements in every accessible manner. I.e. you can define a user
interface on your big machine creating a layout taking your wohle screen,
and then use msei18n to generate another layout for small notebook screens
or perhaps even tiny tablet computers. (Of course, the layout modification
also has its limits, there will be some size where everything will no
longer fit or even be discernible.) Other uses are imaginable, I just
mentioned the described one because that's what I used it for: some kind
of a "kiosk" system that's to be deployed on machines with various screen
sizes, where the application should always cover the whole screen and not
show the common scaling effects of the graphics system.

Does that help you a bit?

(BTW, I had created a variant of Martin's original interactive-only program
that could be partially scripted, although I didn't yet bother to remove
or suppress the graphics output. I did provide it here, but it seemed there
was no interest for it.)

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
This post was updated on .
> Does that help you a bit?

A lot, many thanks.

My biggest problem is that I cannot make run the msei18n demo, so difficult
to measure the feature.

https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/issues/1

> I did provide it here, but it seemed there was no interest for it.

I am interested!

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr fredvs,

Sie schrieben am Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:28:26 -0700 (MST):

[msei18n]
> My biggest problem is that I cannot make run the msei18n demo so difficult
> to measure the feature.

I'm not sure what you want to say with that - did it fail to compile for
you, did it fail to start, were you unable to get it to work, or something
else?
I could compile it without problem with the latest released IDE (4.6.2) and
fpc 3.0.2 x64, although I used the 32bit precompiled IDE. The resulting
program did run, although it didn't find some files I had used previously,
because in the meantime I had done some reorganisation on my machine...
My problem at this place is that I just cannot really remember what exactly
had to be done and prepared to create a working project for msei18n.
I mean to remember that it was neccessary to convert the project's .mfm
files to a different format, and indeed I found files with a .trd extension
holding the conversion parameters, along with the msei18n .trp project
files. It' s just too long since I did this project, must be more than
5 years by now, and I didn't even have to do much work on it since.
So I will need some time to find out again how this is to be used and I
can provide a working example.
Sorry for that.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello Sieghard.

> I'm not sure what you want to say with that - did it fail to compile for
> you, did it fail to start, were you unable to get it to work, or something
> else?

I said that the /msegui/apps/i18ndemo/i18ndemo.prj  is not working so I
cannot evalute mse-i18n.

Fortunately Glixx gave patches to make MSEide i18n enabled (localization).
@Glixx, one more time: big wow.

https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/commit/d08b31fd4f4212ab42e8cdb6aabdc62117e0cce7

Here infos of the fixes:
https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/issues/1

So, yes MSEi18n is working and great.

Glixx proposes to also enable PO files for MSEgui (like fpGUI does), so we
may have to choose or using MSEi18n or PO files.

If you want to compile/test MSEide with i18n enabled, please check the
option "-dmse_i18n" in project-option/make-option in mseide.prj.

> I can provide a working example. Sorry for that.

No problem, the working 18n example is now MSEide (and it s a perfect
example!).

And for the demo 18ndemo.prj I will try to fix it asap.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

> I mean to remember that it was neccessary to convert the project's .mfm
> files to a different format, and indeed I found files with a .trd extension
> holding the conversion parameters, along with the msei18n .trp project
> files.

It seems to me too that some conversions are needed.
But it seems too that after the patches of Glixx it does not need such conversion (or I missed something).

I did not change my locale (not out-of-the-box in Debian 9.5)  to test if localization i working with MSEide + i18n.

But it seems that for Glixx who has Russian locale it is working.
But maybe there is something that he does after compiling that I miss.

Fre;D

Sie schrieben am Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:28:26 -0700 (MST):

[msei18n]
> My biggest problem is that I cannot make run the msei18n demo so difficult
> to measure the feature.

I'm not sure what you want to say with that - did it fail to compile for
you, did it fail to start, were you unable to get it to work, or something
else?
I could compile it without problem with the latest released IDE (4.6.2) and
fpc 3.0.2 x64, although I used the 32bit precompiled IDE. The resulting
program did run, although it didn't find some files I had used previously,
because in the meantime I had done some reorganisation on my machine...
My problem at this place is that I just cannot really remember what exactly
had to be done and prepared to create a working project for msei18n.
I mean to remember that it was neccessary to convert the project's .mfm
files to a different format, and indeed I found files with a .trd extension
holding the conversion parameters, along with the msei18n .trp project
files. It' s just too long since I did this project, must be more than
5 years by now, and I didn't even have to do much work on it since.
So I will need some time to find out again how this is to be used and I
can provide a working example.
Sorry for that.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

> I'm not sure what you want to say with that - did it fail to compile for
> you, did it fail to start, were you unable to get it to work, or something
> else?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr fredvs,

Sie schrieben am Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:12:37 -0700 (MST):

> > I'm not sure what you want to say with that - did it fail to compile
> I said that the /msegui/apps/i18ndemo/i18ndemo.prj  is not working so I
> cannot evalute mse-i18n.

As I did not use this demo - indeed, I wasn't even aware of it until now -
I cannot now comment on this. msei18n IS fully working, though, and in the
meantime I even found out again just HOW it works, or is meant to be used.
Using it is a bit !quirky", though, it requires several steps to get to a
result and relies on the intermediate use of a "third party program", mostly
a spreadsheet, to do the real, translation, work. For the data transfer, it
uses .csv files, which are understood by most applicable helper software.

> Fortunately Glixx gave patches to make MSEide i18n enabled (localization).
> @Glixx, one more time: big wow.

FIne - although I will have to study these before I can comment on them.
Does thet, on the other hand, mean that translation is handled without
msei18n use at all then? If so, is msei18n then considered obsolete?
I think it could still have some value to provide layout variants or
similar things. It will have to be "tuned" to this purpose better then,
and some of the "rougher corners" (of which there are quite some) softened
to make it's use smoother.

> Here infos of the fixes:
> https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/issues/1
> So, yes MSEi18n is working and great.

I will have evaluate that - I've just not sufficient time right now.

> Glixx proposes to also enable PO files for MSEgui (like fpGUI does), so we
> may have to choose or using MSEi18n or PO files.

This ist probabely not a bad idea, as this method is abundantly used on
Linux and probabely on other systems as well. It is similar to a method I
used in my "big" mse project for translation of labels and message strings.
If I got that right, they use some preprocessing of the translations to
make substitution faster. I did it straight ahead, just look up the
original strings and replace them with the appropriate translations - for
a few dozen strings that I needed this method is fast enough, regarding
the current processors that can do such a task "in the blink of an eye".

> If you want to compile/test MSEide with i18n enabled, please check the
> option "-dmse_i18n" in project-option/make-option in mseide.prj.

I'll have to do that yet.

> And for the demo 18ndemo.prj I will try to fix it asap.

I'll have a look as well. If I find something, I'll give notice.

BTW, I had some trouble with news just these days, and I wasn't sure
whether it was just a short "hiccup" of the albasani server or a major
configuration issue on my machine, so I was a bit reluctant to answer
earlier, fearing that this might got lost. But it was probabely the latter,
and this list - that I read by means of the "gmane" archieval and news
conversion site, BTW - was fine all the time.
But I will probabely have to consider switching to the new nabble hosted
list, as most of the stuff you mentioned didn't seem to show up "here" at
all. E.g. I didn't know (and cannot see even now) a member of name "Glixx",
nor any information of him other than what you mentioned above.
Does nabble - or ist it github? - also provide a news conversion of the
list? I DO hate to have to do everything full-time on line. My machine
fetches news from interesting grups in the background in short bursts, and I
can then read (and respond to) them whenever I find some time for that
without having to be vulnerable to "the net".

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello Sieghard and thanks for your answers.

So I will let you try the i18ndemo.prj and last commit of MSEide + me_i18n
parameter.

> msei18n IS fully working, though, and in the
> meantime I even found out again just HOW it works, or is meant to be used.
> Using it is a bit !quirky"

Yes, that is what I like with Martin, there is always a part of exploration
before the "wow".

> I didn't know (and cannot see even now) a member of name "Glixx",

https://github.com/glixx
https://github.com/orgs/mse-org/people/glixx

(Dont say it but I think it is Alexey Loginov)

 I had some trouble with news just these days,
Me too and lot of time.
You may use the mse-org forum instead:

Do you have a GitHub account?

Fre;D

> [...]

conversion site, BTW - was fine all the time.
But I will probabely have to consider switching to the new nabble hosted
list, as most of the stuff you mentioned didn't seem to show up "here" at
all. E.g. I didn't know (and cannot see even now) a member of name "Glixx",
nor any information of him other than what you mentioned above.
Does nabble - or ist it github? - also provide a news conversion of the
list? I DO hate to have to do everything full-time on line. My machine
fetches news from interesting grups in the background in short bursts, and I
can then read (and respond to) them whenever I find some time for that
without having to be vulnerable to "the net".

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Re-hello.

OK, I get it for i18ndemo.prj.

The trick is to NOT use -FUunits parameter, all files produced must be in the root-source directory.

That way a library of the language are created.

A little  tricky that library needed but it works.

Fre;D

> [...]

conversion site, BTW - was fine all the time.
But I will probabely have to consider switching to the new nabble hosted
list, as most of the stuff you mentioned didn't seem to show up "here" at
all. E.g. I didn't know (and cannot see even now) a member of name "Glixx",
nor any information of him other than what you mentioned above.
Does nabble - or ist it github? - also provide a news conversion of the
list? I DO hate to have to do everything full-time on line. My machine
fetches news from interesting grups in the background in short bursts, and I
can then read (and respond to) them whenever I find some time for that
without having to be vulnerable to "the net".

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sehr geehrter Herr van Stappen,

Sie schrieben am Sun, 3 Mar 2019 19:55:38 +0000:

> So I will let you try the i18ndemo.prj and last commit of MSEide + me_i18n
> parameter.

Sorry for the long delay, and the fact that I've still not come around to
inspect this thing. I'm just too busy  these times for work, and I had a
couple other ideas that I went implementing "quickly"...
Well, those other things are a file requester (filebrowser) based on the
msegui file dialog, but useable as a stand-alone program, and a keypad /
editfield calcutor.
For the latter: have you ever had the need to enter some values somewhere,
but you didn't have them ready for input, but had to precalculate them from
raw values? Now, the keypad / edit field calcutor functions could have given
you the ability to build this into your program. The keypad calculator is
finished already, I'm not quite done with the edit field version, but if
anyone might be interested, I could provide the code.
BTW, the keypad one is based on a (screen) keypad (plus screen keyboard)
utility unit I provided "many years ago" already, but never saw any
reference to, even though Martin himself wrote about having it adapted to
his style.
I'm also willing to provide the free-standing file requester code for
anyone interested and equally bored with the available ones on Linux.

> > msei18n IS fully working, though, and in the
> > used. Using it is a bit !quirky"
>
> Yes, that is what I like with Martin, there is always a part of
> exploration before the "wow".

Well, there are quite some "loose ends" left with this one. For me, a quite
important problem was the total lack of scriptability, which is why I took
at it in the first place. And there are some other functions that could be
integrated, at least a means to automatically add the "deposits"
(directories) to be used for the variants to be created, and a
simplification of the neccessary processing for that.
But I surely will come back on this tool, even if it seems it's no longer
needed for translation / internationalization, but it could still - and
possibly even more - useful for the creation of (layout) variants,
notwithstanding the existence of Martin's skin feature and his layouter
system.

BTW:
> Do you have a GitHub account?

No, that's probabely not worth anyeffort, because I'm usually not able to
use it much, because of other activities.

Anyway, thank you very much for your interest and keep up the good work!

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Alexey Loginov
Developing of msei18n tool is in progress. It keeps localization by
library, but we will add gettext support too. At least msei18n tool
can generate POT files, that we need to translate by transifex. So
msei18n is always actual.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Hello Seighard.

Sorry for the delay.
And I will need even more to analyze your post.

Write you later and thanks.

Sie schrieben am Sun, 3 Mar 2019 19:55:38 +0000:

> So I will let you try the i18ndemo.prj and last commit of MSEide + me_i18n
> parameter.

Sorry for the long delay, and the fact that I've still not come around to
inspect this thing. I'm just too busy  these times for work, and I had a
couple other ideas that I went implementing "quickly"...
Well, those other things are a file requester (filebrowser) based on the
msegui file dialog, but useable as a stand-alone program, and a keypad /
editfield calcutor.
For the latter: have you ever had the need to enter some values somewhere,
but you didn't have them ready for input, but had to precalculate them from
raw values? Now, the keypad / edit field calcutor functions could have given
you the ability to build this into your program. The keypad calculator is
finished already, I'm not quite done with the edit field version, but if
anyone might be interested, I could provide the code.
BTW, the keypad one is based on a (screen) keypad (plus screen keyboard)
utility unit I provided "many years ago" already, but never saw any
reference to, even though Martin himself wrote about having it adapted to
his style.
I'm also willing to provide the free-standing file requester code for
anyone interested and equally bored with the available ones on Linux.

> > msei18n IS fully working, though, and in the
> > used. Using it is a bit !quirky"
>
> Yes, that is what I like with Martin, there is always a part of
> exploration before the "wow".

Well, there are quite some "loose ends" left with this one. For me, a quite
important problem was the total lack of scriptability, which is why I took
at it in the first place. And there are some other functions that could be
integrated, at least a means to automatically add the "deposits"
(directories) to be used for the variants to be created, and a
simplification of the neccessary processing for that.
But I surely will come back on this tool, even if it seems it's no longer
needed for translation / internationalization, but it could still - and
possibly even more - useful for the creation of (layout) variants,
notwithstanding the existence of Martin's skin feature and his layouter
system.

BTW:
> Do you have a GitHub account?

No, that's probabely not worth anyeffort, because I'm usually not able to
use it much, because of other activities.

Anyway, thank you very much for your interest and keep up the good work!

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr van Stappen,

Sie schrieben am Thu, 21 Mar 2019 23:40:21 +0000:

> Hello Seighard.
         ie (never mind)

Anyhow, after a really verry loong time, I got around to look through the
current (mseide 4.6.2, the "stable" version) implementation of msei18n and
adapt my old "scripting" extensions to that. They make msei18n not really
scriptable, as it still presents it's GUI, but they allow it to be command
line controlled and to process a previously prepared project without further
manual interaction, i.e. generate a new set of translation libraries, e.g.
for a modified version.
I did download your special "po"-able version, but cannot use it at all,
because there's no source code for it. I didn't even find any source code
for a "po"-able version at all yet, even the latest  git master archive
seems to not provide this ability.
So I have to ask where this is and how I could get at it. Downloading an
offically accessible git archive isn't a problem, but as I couldn't find
one, it looks like there are just distributed patches lying around
somewhere that I have no information of, or the source is not officially
accessible to everyone.
BTW, I did get some smallish projects working in the meantime someone might
be interested in. These are
- a stand alone file requester to be used for shell scripts  (as already
  mentioned)
- a calculation unit / component for numerical entry fields, featuring
  chain computation and respecting operator precedence, and along with it,
  a similarly enhanced keypad dialog component for use with touch screens
- a simple utility to test and display key codes, names and characters
  (strings) as produced by key presses.

I could provide zip archives of any of these projects, hopefully containing
everything needed to reproduce them within the realm of a working mseide
environment (i.e. that means it does NOT comprise mseide-msegui).
In the case of msei18n, I could also produce a unix standard diff patch to
apply to the original utility source code.

The extensions implemented for msei18n are in short:

- new command line switches
 '--process': the "scripting" function
 '--target', a provision to modify the fpc compiler used, e.g. to compile
 for i386 on a x64 machine, or to cross compile for windows on linux, and
 '--version', an additional provision for selecting the compiler by
 appending a postfix to its name, e.g. a version number or such.

- processing functions
  The processing functions are passed as a string parameter to the
  "--process" switch. They are shortly described in the source file
  "main.pas" along with the definition of the processing function
  "ExecuteCommands". The process parameter may comprise any number of
  functions and their pertaining parameters as following:

     Syntax of --process switch:

     --process=<command>(,<command>)”

     command:
        make(:<make parameter>)|
        open(:<file parameter>)|
        saveas(:<file parameter>)|
        import(:<file parameter>)|
        export(:<file parameter>)|
        new(:<file parameter>)|
        exit

  For more details, please refer to the commentary in the source file.
  All the functions are named according to the respective menu entries.

Please give a notice if you think any or some of the above mentioned items
might be of interest to you or the project and whether and what I should do
about them.

Otherwise, I wish you good luck with the continuation of Martin's heritage
and hope it will prosper and be of use to many future projects.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello Seighard.

> I did download your special "po"-able version, but cannot use it at all,
> because there's no source code for it. I didn't even find any source code
> for a "po"-able version at all yet, even the latest  git master archive
> seems to not provide this ability.

Huh, the po-able version was transfered here:

In mse-org/mseide-msegui is the original no-po-able version.

> , I did get some smallish projects working in the meantime someone might be interested in.

Yes, with pleasure.

>Otherwise, I wish you good luck with the continuation of Martin's heritage
> and hope it will prosper and be of use to many future projects.

If you still give your advices/help mse will be very prosper.

Thanks Seighard.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr van Stappen,

Sie schrieben am Mon, 22 Apr 2019 22:45:58 +0000:

> Huh, the po-able version was transfered here:
> https://github.com/fredvs/mseide-msegui

Thank you, I'll have a look at it shortly.

> In mse-org/mseide-msegui is the original no-po-able version.

I found this.

> > , I did get some smallish projects working in the meantime someone
> > might be interested in.
>
> Yes, with pleasure.

Then I've to ask, how do you get them? Send them to you by email, put them
on a (my) web site for download, or some other way? (I do not get or write
list messages, as I'm reading this by means of a mailing-list-to-news-group
translation site, gmane.)

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello Sieghard.

You may use that mailng-list and add a zip file as attachment.

You may also use nabble (like I do):
 http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com
and, when creating a message, click on "More" "Upload a file".

You may also use mse-org-forum:
http://mse-org.111682.n8.nabble.com
and , when creating a post, click on "More" "Upload a file".

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr fredvs,

Sie schrieben am Wed, 24 Apr 2019 18:16:55 -0700 (MST):

> You may use that mailng-list and add a zip file as attachment.
>
> You may also use nabble (like I do):
>  http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com
> and, when creating a message, click on "More" "Upload a file".
>
> You may also use mse-org-forum:
> http://mse-org.111682.n8.nabble.com
> and , when creating a post, click on "More" "Upload a file".

That's all very well meant, but after trying several methods that did NOT
work at all, and after being unable to put ANYTHING on the nabble list, I
think I'll give up on this project altogether and just watch and
sporadically comment on the postings here. This is frustrating.

Anyway, thank you for your attempts to help, even though unsuccessful.

I'd still be willing to provide the items I mentioned and will try to
produce a "scriptable" version of the latest msei18n if I can, but as long
as I cannot finda way to pass it on to you, it will not be available to
anyone else, unfortunately.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] msei18n vs PO files

fredvs
Hello Sieghard.

> That's all very well meant, but after trying several methods that did NOT
> work at all, and after being unable to put ANYTHING on the nabble list, I
> think I'll give up on this project altogether and just watch and
> sporadically comment on the postings here. This is frustrating.

I am really sorry that it does not work for you.
What is the size of your zip file?

You may sent me a email with the zip attachment to [hidden email]

123