[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Useless searches all over the Internet

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Useless searches all over the Internet

Graeme Geldenhuys
Is Google, DuckDuckGo the only search functionality on the internet that
actually works???  What is going on in this world.

I went to Gitlab and searched for "mseide" and "mseide+msegui" and
neither could find any results. Then again, most websites that offer
their own search functionality act like this. WTF!

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Screenshot at 2018-07-06 09-05-15.png (117K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Useless searches all over the Internet

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

Here, it works. (using Opera + GitLab).

<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/mseidesearch.png>

On Friday 06 July 2018 10:08:07 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Is Google, DuckDuckGo the only search functionality on the internet that
> actually works???  What is going on in this world.

I actually would say that the only working search functionally is Google, the
value of DuckDuckGo is limited. I too make the experience that searches in
individual sites are mostly useless.

> I went to Gitlab and searched for "mseide" and "mseide+msegui" and
> neither could find any results. Then again, most websites that offer
> their own search functionality act like this. WTF!

In case of searching gitlab.com hosted projects the URL is
https://gitlab.com/explore, see attachment.

search.png (123K) Download Attachment

On 07/06/18 10:03, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > I too make the experience that searches in
> individual sites are mostly useless.

After I discovered that Google had a 3GByte zip file of data on me (no
videos, but 200 or so photos - the rest harvested data), I try not to
use Google any more. DuckDuckGo gives me  the exact same information as
Google would have, also supports "utilities" via the search engine -
PLUS they do not track you at all (or so they claim).

> In case of searching gitlab.com hosted projects the URL is
> https://gitlab.com/explore, see attachment.

Again, shows you how SH*T websites are these days. Steps I used:

1.   Go to "www.gitlab.com"
2.   Click on the Search link (magnifying glass) shown in the
     navigation menu.
3.   Typed in "mseide" and pressed Enter.

What I got was the screenshot I posted before. The above steps doesn't
sound unreasonable to me!

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Useless searches all over the Internet

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/06/18 10:03, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> > I too make the experience that searches in
>> individual sites are mostly useless.
>
> After I discovered that Google had a 3GByte zip file of data on me (no
> videos, but 200 or so photos - the rest harvested data), I try not to
> use Google any more. DuckDuckGo gives me  the exact same information as
> Google would have, also supports "utilities" via the search engine -
> PLUS they do not track you at all (or so they claim).
>
>> In case of searching gitlab.com hosted projects the URL is
>> https://gitlab.com/explore, see attachment.
>
> Again, shows you how SH*T websites are these days. Steps I used:
>
> 1.   Go to "www.gitlab.com"
> 2.   Click on the Search link (magnifying glass) shown in the
>      navigation menu.
> 3.   Typed in "mseide" and pressed Enter.
>
> What I got was the screenshot I posted before. The above steps doesn't
> sound unreasonable to me!

Don't use gitlab.com/explore, instead just use the Search edit on the top.

Regards,
Marcos Douglas

On Sunday 08 July 2018 01:34:45 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 07/06/18 10:03, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > > I too make the experience that searches in
> >
> > individual sites are mostly useless.
>
> After I discovered that Google had a 3GByte zip file of data on me (no
> videos, but 200 or so photos - the rest harvested data), I try not to
> use Google any more. DuckDuckGo gives me  the exact same information as
> Google would have,

Really? See Attachment.

> also supports "utilities" via the search engine -
> PLUS they do not track you at all (or so they claim).
>
> > In case of searching gitlab.com hosted projects the URL is
> > https://gitlab.com/explore, see attachment.
>
> Again, shows you how SH*T websites are these days. Steps I used:
>
> 1.   Go to "www.gitlab.com"

That is the website where they promote their software product.

duckduckgo.png (49K) Download Attachment
google.png (196K) Download Attachment

On 07/08/18 06:36, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> videos, but 200 or so photos - the rest harvested data), I try not to
>> use Google any more. DuckDuckGo gives me  the exact same information as
>> Google would have,
>
> Really? See Attachment.

Your DuckDuckGo result makes perfect sense to me. Look again at your
filter settings. Google is obviously a lot more popular (and larger)
than DuckDuckGo. MSEide or MSEgui or MSElang has a very small community
in comparison to other topics. Take that into account and the fact that
you only asked for results of the past month will give you a very small
subset, or no results as in your case.

Change the filter setting to "any time" and magically you get a ton of
results. See attached screenshot.

And by "apps" I meant search in DDG for say 'stopwatch' or 'timer' and
you get the app. They have tons of such apps, and many are written by
the community too.

I didn't mean that the two completely different search engines give the
exact same results. There are lots of varying factors, including the
country. I simply meant I can normally find any information on DDG as I
would on Google. The search results are good enough for me to not only
rely on Google.

> That is the website where they promote their software product.

Well, that exact same set of steps on Github shows me what I'm looking
for.  Go to "www.github.com", type "msegui" in the search box and press
Enter.

My point exactly. The user experience is hit and miss, or all over the
place depending on the website. Sometimes things work, sometime they don't.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Screenshot at 2018-07-08 09-53-06.png (60K) Download Attachment

On Sunday 08 July 2018 11:10:42 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 07/08/18 06:36, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> >> videos, but 200 or so photos - the rest harvested data), I try not to
> >> use Google any more. DuckDuckGo gives me  the exact same information as
> >> Google would have,
> >
> > Really? See Attachment.
>
> Your DuckDuckGo result makes perfect sense to me. Look again at your
> filter settings. Google is obviously a lot more popular (and larger)
> than DuckDuckGo. MSEide or MSEgui or MSElang has a very small community
> in comparison to other topics. Take that into account and the fact that
> you only asked for results of the past month will give you a very small
> subset, or no results as in your case.
>
> Change the filter setting to "any time" and magically you get a ton of
> results. See attached screenshot.

My point is that Google with its incomparable bigger financial background
inevitable provides better results.
That nobody cares about the extremely dangerous knowledge about individuals,
groups and a big part of mankind that Google and other internet giants have
is another matter.

[...]

> > That is the website where they promote their software product.
>
> Well, that exact same set of steps on Github shows me what I'm looking
> for.  Go to "www.github.com", type "msegui" in the search box and press
> Enter.

AFAIK the Github software system is closed source and can't be bought like the
GitLab system. The GitLab kernel is even free.
github.com is the hosting site as gitlab.com/explore for GitLab

> My point exactly. The user experience is hit and miss, or all over the
> place depending on the website. Sometimes things work, sometime they don't.

I have the same experience.