[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

Erich Rast
Hi!

I'm currently evaluating whether I can use MSEGui in a project and would
like to know the following:

1. Is there a multiline rich text control that allows embedding
of images?

2. Does MSEGui already have built-in support for "internal" drag&drop,
i.e., dragging a user interface element like a custom drawn canvas over
the window on a control like a listbox that receives it (on the same
window)?

Thanks for letting me know!

Best,

Erich

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

On Wednesday 25 October 2017 16:43:01 Erich Rast wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently evaluating whether I can use MSEGui in a project and would
> like to know the following:
>
> 1. Is there a multiline rich text control that allows embedding
> of images?

There is ttextedit placed in a twidgetgrid which can be used to
edit "richstringty"-strings. "richstringty" can show different font colors
and font styles character by character. It is also possible to show images in
twidgetgrid cells. MSEide source editor is made with ttextedit/twidgetgrid.
In order to edit HTML-like documents an external component or application can
be embedded by means of twindowwidget which provides a container window
handle.

> 2. Does MSEGui already have built-in support for "internal" drag&drop,
> i.e., dragging a user interface element like a custom drawn canvas over
> the window on a control like a listbox that receives it (on the same
> window)?

Yes, DND is handled for example by the tform.dragdock property. An example
with filenames which also communicates with the desktop environment is here:
https://gitlab.com/mseide-msegui/mseuniverse/tree/master/attic/msedocumenting/mse/trunk/help/tutorials/widgets/sysdnd

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

Erich Rast
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:41:21 +0200
Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 1. Is there a multiline rich text control that allows embedding
> > of images?
> >
> There is ttextedit placed in a twidgetgrid which can be used to
> edit "richstringty"-strings. "richstringty" can show different font
> colors and font styles character by character. It is also possible to
> show images in twidgetgrid cells. MSEide source editor is made with
> ttextedit/twidgetgrid. In order to edit HTML-like documents an
> external component or application can be embedded by means of
> twindowwidget which provides a container window handle.

Thanks a lot! I'll check that out!

On Thursday 26 October 2017 12:24:01 Erich Rast wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:41:21 +0200
>
> Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > 1. Is there a multiline rich text control that allows embedding
> > > of images?
> >
> > There is ttextedit placed in a twidgetgrid which can be used to
> > edit "richstringty"-strings. "richstringty" can show different font
> > colors and font styles character by character. It is also possible to
> > show images in twidgetgrid cells. MSEide source editor is made with
> > ttextedit/twidgetgrid. In order to edit HTML-like documents an
> > external component or application can be embedded by means of
> > twindowwidget which provides a container window handle.
>
> Thanks a lot! I'll check that out!

What is the use case of the wanted rich text control?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

Erich Rast
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:59:36 +0200
Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the use case of the wanted rich text control?

Good question, I'm writing the prototype of a mid-sized and kind
of complex project management tool in Racket (unlimited undo,
customizable everything, internal links, etc.). Currently only notes
are implemented. For the time being I'm sticking with Racket,
but in the long run it might just be too sluggish and slow, so I was
thinking about rewriting it later in FPC. (I want to avoid C++/Qt.)

Small pictures need to be displayed inline. This allows e.g. for a
nice free-form address book. Or cooking recipes. I've attached a
screenshot.

Maybe I should go with LCL. Anyway,I like the theming possibility,
small size and speed of MSEGui. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Erich

Screenshot from 2017-10-26 12-36-14.png (198K) Download Attachment

On Thursday 26 October 2017 13:49:10 Erich Rast wrote:

> Maybe I should go with LCL.

What would you use in LCL? Maybe it could be ported or rewritten for MSEgui.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

Graeme Geldenhuys

On 26/10/17 12:49, Erich Rast wrote:
> Small pictures need to be displayed inline. This allows e.g. for a
> nice free-form address book. Or cooking recipes. I've attached a
> screenshot.

As a possible alternative, fpGUI Toolkit has a RichTextView component
that allows for that and all the usual richtext formatting. You can set
left or right margins, text indentation levels, align images left,
centred, right or inline, various fonts and font size support,
hyperlinks etc. The RichTextView component was designed for use with
fpGUI's help viewer - DocView, but I've used it in other projects too,
where I required richtext display with inline images.

As the component name suggests, in isn't an editor, but only a viewer,
and it uses its own custom richtext syntax that is pretty
self-explanatory. But in the same directory
(<fpgui>/docview/components/richtext/) there is a sample edit & live
preview sample application.

    http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Two questions about MSEGui

On Thursday 26 October 2017 13:49:10 Erich Rast wrote:

> Small pictures need to be displayed inline. This allows e.g. for a
> nice free-form address book. Or cooking recipes. I've attached a
> screenshot.

I think it could be done with an extended ttextedit. I'll take a look.

BTW, questions about MSEide+MSEgui also can be asked in German here:
http://www.lazarusforum.de/viewforum.php?f=53

On Friday 27 October 2017 06:52:30 Martin Schreiber wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2017 13:49:10 Erich Rast wrote:
> > Small pictures need to be displayed inline. This allows e.g. for a
> > nice free-form address book. Or cooking recipes. I've attached a
> > screenshot.
>
> I think it could be done with an extended ttextedit. I'll take a look.

git master 9d2f19bb4ba81f74547e810ced2ce93c1ed5771c has it.
https://gitlab.com/mseide-msegui/mseide-msegui

An example is here:
https://gitlab.com/mseide-msegui/mseuniverse/tree/master/samples/widgets/grids/textedit

inlineimage.png (24K) Download Attachment