[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Hi Martin,

Does tray hint work? On button it is fine but on tray not and no
matter if with or without dbus option. ow_hinton options widget also
doesn't change anything. Attached example. Don't forget that I have
this troublesome KDE Plasma (now it is KDE Neon with plasma 5.12.1)

Regards

trayhint.7z (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

On 02/18/2018 12:47 AM, Krzysztof wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Does tray hint work? On button it is fine but on tray not and no
> matter if with or without dbus option. ow_hinton options widget also
> doesn't change anything. Attached example. Don't forget that I have
> this troublesome KDE Plasma (now it is KDE Neon with plasma 5.12.1)

Works for me on openSUSE 42.3 with Plasma 5.8.7 and two_usedbus, see
attachment. ttraywidget.caption was broken with two_usedbus, should be
fixed in git master 62e56e6fc8fe4d7aa4b92ae58fb55c4dba1f318b.

KDE does not support mouse move events in system_tray_request_dock
protocol -> hints do not work without two_usedbus.

dbushint.png (18K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Great! ttraywidget.caption works perfect! So I have to update caption
and hint together? Caption for KDE and hint for Windows and probably
Gnome?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
One interesting thing. On your screenshot tray icon is transparent
(not fully, looks like semi transparent, pixels are 0 or 1). This is
weird X window regression which I can't understand. I remember having
fully (I mean real full alpha) transparent tray icon in one of my old
KDE (don't remember which one, Linux Mint KDE edition or KDE on
Kubuntu). It worked only with one timagelist.option mask (also don't
remember if it was bmo_graymask or bmo_colormask). Now in my KDE Neon
(which have the most recent KDE version because this ubuntu "distro"
is from KDE guys) I can't enable it anymore (see attachment, this is
the same demo which you run). It's not issue for me because I always
known that MSEGUI doesn't have support for transparency in single
window widget, so I'm painting nice looking square tray icon which
fill whole rect. But did you ever wonder from where this regression
came from? Although never tested this transparency behavior on some
GNOME or Windows environment
P.S. On screenshot I have black theme but I don't think it is important

Screenshot_20180223_010437.png (97K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Hmmm another weird things which I noticed now:
1. Why MSE app show also "tray caption" as a name of the app instead
of "my window" (tray1.png)? For example my Clementine music player in
task bar show "NowEntryUnder..." which is currently playing song on
radio station (clementine window caption) and when expand try icons I
see "Clementine" as app name?
2. Randomly when I run this demo, my Plasma Shell is crashing and
automaticaly restoring (bottom task bar panel is disappearing for a
second). Also when my MSE app is running I don't see items in tray
settings (tray2.png) but when close my app and open tray settings
again then everything is fine (tray3.png). Seems like two_usedbus is
blocking something. Now when writting this message, plasma crash
everytime when I run this demo, thought that reason is two_usedbus.
Disabled it and few first runs were ok but now also plasma is crashing
almost everytime (less than with two_usedbus). Realy weird, also can't
reproduce anymore empty items in tray settings. Do you want some
syslogs or something?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
I forgot about attachments

tray1.png (94K) Download Attachment
tray2.png (58K) Download Attachment
tray3.png (106K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Tried to record my dekstop as a prove but could not reproduce this
even after dozens times now, grrr, just started working fine. Finally
got it with other scenario (but still don't understant why plasma
stopped crashing for everytime when I run app after that). Look at
attached video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kRr1KadN3JITaP0aBS9ivy16wLywz-lz

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Hmmm this scenario also happen with other apps which are in tray icon.
It's late night, I'll back to this tomorrow

On Friday 23 February 2018 00:39:57 Krzysztof wrote:
> Great! ttraywidget.caption works perfect! So I have to update caption
> and hint together? Caption for KDE and hint for Windows and probably
> Gnome?

With X11 system_tray_request_dock protocoll ttraywidget.caption sets the X11
window property WM_NAME. It depends on the desktop framework what will be
done with the text.
The docked widget works as a normal MSEgui widget if the window manager
implements the protocol correct, -> the hint text will be displayed by MSEgui
if the mouse pointer will be paused above the widget, also "onshowhint" will
be called.
Remember, Plasma does not fully implement system_tray_request_dock, so hints
will not work!

With the Dbus "StatusNotifierIitem" protocol ttraywidget.caption corresponds
to the "Title" property, ttraywidget.hint to the "ToolTip" property.
BTW, Plasma doesn't implement that protocol correctly neither, it uses a
proprietary domain name for "StatusNotifierWatcher" instead of the domain
defined by Freedesktop.org.
If people want the desktop environment bugs fixed there must be some action by
the MSEide+MSEgui users in order to build test programs (preferably in C) and
to report the bugs at the right place.

On Windows ttraywidget.caption corresponds to a windows.SetWindowTextW() call,
ttraywidget.caption corresponds to a windows.shell_notifyiconw() call with
NIF_TIP set.

On Friday 23 February 2018 01:47:09 Krzysztof wrote:
> Hmmm another weird things which I noticed now:
> 1. Why MSE app show also "tray caption" as a name of the app instead
> of "my window" (tray1.png)? For example my Clementine music player in
> task bar show "NowEntryUnder..." which is currently playing song on
> radio station (clementine window caption) and when expand try icons I
> see "Clementine" as app name?

I don't understand, please explain again.

> 2. Randomly when I run this demo, my Plasma Shell is crashing and
> automaticaly restoring (bottom task bar panel is disappearing for a
> second). Also when my MSE app is running I don't see items in tray
> settings (tray2.png) but when close my app and open tray settings
> again then everything is fine (tray3.png). Seems like two_usedbus is
> blocking something. Now when writting this message, plasma crash
> everytime when I run this demo, thought that reason is two_usedbus.
> Disabled it and few first runs were ok but now also plasma is crashing
> almost everytime (less than with two_usedbus). Realy weird, also can't
> reproduce anymore empty items in tray settings. Do you want some
> syslogs or something?

In year 2016 I reported at KDE that the system_tray_request_dock protocoll
only works the first time for an application but IIRC got no answer other
than to use Dbus instead. IIRC you wrote that you don't have that problem.
Then I implemented support for Dbus with its crazy overhead into MSEgui...

On 02/23/2018 01:06 AM, Krzysztof wrote:
> One interesting thing. On your screenshot tray icon is transparent
> (not fully, looks like semi transparent, pixels are 0 or 1). This is
> weird X window regression which I can't understand. I remember having
> fully (I mean real full alpha) transparent tray icon in one of my old
> KDE (don't remember which one, Linux Mint KDE edition or KDE on
> Kubuntu).

Works for me with bmo_graymask, see icon1.png, with bmo_colormask the
mask seems to be a bitmap, see icon2.png. I'll take a look.

icon1.png (20K) Download Attachment
icon2.png (19K) Download Attachment

On 02/23/2018 05:08 PM, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> On 02/23/2018 01:06 AM, Krzysztof wrote:
>> One interesting thing. On your screenshot tray icon is transparent
>> (not fully, looks like semi transparent, pixels are 0 or 1). This is
>> weird X window regression which I can't understand. I remember having
>> fully (I mean real full alpha) transparent tray icon in one of my old
>> KDE (don't remember which one, Linux Mint KDE edition or KDE on
>> Kubuntu).
>
> Works for me with bmo_graymask, see icon1.png, with bmo_colormask the
> mask seems to be a bitmap, see icon2.png. I'll take a look.

Please try again wit git master e6eebe7b49a5beea46faaa4b2647f9e9c20e1d6e.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
> On Friday 23 February 2018 01:47:09 Krzysztof wrote:
>> Hmmm another weird things which I noticed now:
>> 1. Why MSE app show also "tray caption" as a name of the app instead
>> of "my window" (tray1.png)? For example my Clementine music player in
>> task bar show "NowEntryUnder..." which is currently playing song on
>> radio station (clementine window caption) and when expand try icons I
>> see "Clementine" as app name?
>
> I don't understand, please explain again.

Sorry for delay. See again attached screenshots. Both tray icons (my
test app and Clementine player) are hidden, so I have to expand tray
menu to see them. My app in title item and as hint shows "test
caption" which is from ttraywidget.caption. Title in task manager is
"my window" which is main form caption. Now about Clementine player,
in task manager it show "Juan - set-Junio.mp3" which is its main form
caption, but in try menu as title it shows "Clementine" and hint -
something totally different (second screeshot)

Screenshot_20180227_213806.png (240K) Download Attachment
Screenshot_20180227_215937.png (250K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof

> On 02/23/2018 05:08 PM, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> On 02/23/2018 01:06 AM, Krzysztof wrote:
>>> One interesting thing. On your screenshot tray icon is transparent
>>> (not fully, looks like semi transparent, pixels are 0 or 1). This is
>>> weird X window regression which I can't understand. I remember having
>>> fully (I mean real full alpha) transparent tray icon in one of my old
>>> KDE (don't remember which one, Linux Mint KDE edition or KDE on
>>> Kubuntu).
>>
>> Works for me with bmo_graymask, see icon1.png, with bmo_colormask the
>> mask seems to be a bitmap, see icon2.png. I'll take a look.
>>
> Please try again wit git master e6eebe7b49a5beea46faaa4b2647f9e9c20e1d6e.

Still can't get transparency, both with bmo_graymask or bmo_colormask
(cleared timagelist and readded icon when changes such option). Even
changed ttraywidget.color to cl_transparent. But please don't bother
with that, I really have square tray icon so transparent is not
necessary for me

On Tuesday 27 February 2018 22:11:44 Krzysztof wrote:

> >> Works for me with bmo_graymask, see icon1.png, with bmo_colormask the
> >> mask seems to be a bitmap, see icon2.png. I'll take a look.
> >
> > Please try again wit git master e6eebe7b49a5beea46faaa4b2647f9e9c20e1d6e.
>
> Still can't get transparency, both with bmo_graymask or bmo_colormask
> (cleared timagelist and readded icon when changes such option). Even
> changed ttraywidget.color to cl_transparent. But please don't bother
> with that, I really have square tray icon so transparent is not
> necessary for me

My screenshots have been made with two_usedbus. Do you get correct results
with two_usedbus?

Please remember:

Without two_usedbus and correct implementation of system_tray_request_dock by
the window manager the traywidget is a X11 window embedded into the tray
container.
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-0.3.html
For MSEgui that window is a top level window which corresponds to
ttraywidget.window. Currently MSEgui does not support toplevel windows with
masks or transparent background. AFAIK it would require a X11-extension
and/or a visual with alpha channel. I fear the complications and the problems
with different implementations and different compositing WM's.

With two_usedbus and the "StatusNotifierWatcher" and "StatusNotifierItem"
protocols
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/
there is no icon window, the icon will be provided by MSEgui as a pixel array,
bmo_graymask and bmo_colormask should work. "StatusNotifierItem" does not
support color masks so bmo_colormask will be simplified to a gray mask.

On 02/27/2018 10:07 PM, Krzysztof wrote:

> Sorry for delay. See again attached screenshots. Both tray icons (my
> test app and Clementine player) are hidden, so I have to expand tray
> menu to see them. My app in title item and as hint shows "test
> caption" which is from ttraywidget.caption.

For me it looks like the attachment, the item text is
ttraywidget.caption, the toltip text ttraywidget.hint.

dbushint.png (57K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Sorry for huge delay. Indeed your screenshot looks correct but in my
app it looks like it use traywidget.caption in both :/ . Attached demo
again

Screenshot_20180327_214930.png (166K) Download Attachment
trayhint.7z (8K) Download Attachment

On 03/27/2018 09:54 PM, Krzysztof wrote:
> Sorry for huge delay. Indeed your screenshot looks correct but in my
> app it looks like it use traywidget.caption in both :/ . Attached demo
> again

Works for me on openSUSE 42.3 KDE Plasma 5.8.7, see attachment.

trayiconhint.png (36K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Tray hint doesn't work?

Krzysztof
Ehh, don't bother with that. Probably they are changing something
again with KDE. I have Plasma 5.12.3