[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello Martin.

IMHO, the speed of auto-scrolling if the caret is up or down the form is too
slow (see attachment).
speededitor.mp4
<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/speededitor.mp4>

Could it be possible to adjust the speed of scrolling ?

Thanks.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

On 09/14/2018 11:04 AM, fredvs wrote:
> Hello Martin.
>
> IMHO, the speed of auto-scrolling if the caret is up or down the form is too
> slow (see attachment).

I don't understand. You think that the key repeat frequency is too low?
Please set it in your operating system to a higher value.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello.

In the video you may see that the page is scrolled down or up if the up/down
key is pressed lower than bottom or higher than top.

Would it be possible, if the up/down key is pressed more than one second,
that scrolling lines is faster?

On Saturday 15 September 2018 00:28:00 fredvs wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In the video you may see that the page is scrolled down or up if the
> up/down key is pressed lower than bottom or higher than top.

Correct. The caret should be visible if one changes the active row with the
Up/Down keys.

> Would it be possible, if the up/down key is pressed more than one second,
> that scrolling lines is faster?

What you see is the auto key repeat function of your operating system, it is
not done by MSEgui.

Why don't you use the PageUp/PageDown keys?
Another option is to use the scroll wheel in order to scroll source.
'Project'-'Options'-'Editor'-'Scroll height' sets the step per wheel tick. n
= -1 -> one page - one row, n = 0 -> ballistic behavior, the stepheight
depends on the wheel speed, n >= 1 -> n rows per tick.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello Martin.

OK, thanks for for your light.
Huh, I will explore some other ways, like playing with top.row + timer.
Write you later if I find something interesting.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

Hello.

> Why don't you use the PageUp/PageDown keys?

Because this does not give a smooth scrolling that the eyes can easy follow.

> Another option is to use the scroll wheel

Yes, but... I do not have a scroll wheel and would use only the keyboard...

So I propose this:

If key_up or key_down are maintained pressed  for the first 10 repeat, it is
like now, it is the auto key repeat function of the operating system that
does the job.

But after this, it a timer that does the job, the auto key repeat function
of the operating system will only enable the timer.

See video, the first 10 up/down is done by repeat function of the operating
system after it is the timer that does rows up/down.
(The video is not good because it cannot record fast refresh).
speedyeditor.mp4
<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/speedyeditor.mp4>

Here source of modified msegrids.pas that use a timer after 10 repeats of
key_up or key_down.

msegrids.bz2
<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/msegrids.bz2>

Of course any comment is welcome.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Re-hello.

Ooops, in previous mail, the extension of msegrids.pas was missing.

Here a complete one:
msegrids.zip
<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/msegrids.zip>

On Saturday 15 September 2018 22:11:54 fredvs wrote:
> Hello.
>
> > Why don't you use the PageUp/PageDown keys?
>
> Because this does not give a smooth scrolling that the eyes can easy
> follow.

I do not agree, for me it is not easy to follow smooth scrolling in a source
editor. I like to scroll a page minus one line, then I scan the mew page as a
whole or top down or bottom up, press PageDown/PageUp or move the mouse wheel
a tick with 'Project'-'Options'-'Editor'-'Scroll height' at "-1" and continue
scanning at the still visible last line which always is at the same screen
position. IMHO the key repeat frequency for edit keys should be constant and
the same for all keys. The Up/Down keys which move the caret are edit keys
for me. May be the Ctrl+Up/Down key function frequency could be made dynamic
altough I don't like the limited control one has over self repeat
accelerating key functions. A wheel is much better.
All is my personal preference of course.

> Of course any comment is welcome.

trepeater is intended for such tasks. tcustomgrid already has a timer for
repeating tasks, it has been introduced before trepeater existed.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello Martin.

Many thanks for your advices.

By curiosity, did you try my msegrids.pas in real ?
If you do not want acceleration, just release the up/down key when it begin
to accelerate and then re-press up/down key again.

Sorry again but I will use it for ideU too.

On Sunday 16 September 2018 14:13:53 fredvs wrote:
> Hello Martin.
>
> Many thanks for your advices.
>
> By curiosity, did you try my msegrids.pas in real ?
> If you do not want acceleration, just release the up/down key when it begin
> to accelerate and then re-press up/down key again.

And that is what I don't like. I already wrote about the rationale.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello Martin.

Because I do not want war, added in config-panel a option: "Enable
accelerator for Up/Down keys".

<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/keyaccelerator.png>

Peace.

On Monday 17 September 2018 03:22:44 fredvs wrote:
> Hello Martin.
>
> Because I do not want war, added in config-panel a option: "Enable
> accelerator for Up/Down keys".
>
> <http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/keyaccelerator.png>
>
> Peace.

I also think that one should be thrifty with options. ;-)
Fred, you can do with your IDE as you like, I have no problems with it. I
merely wrote because you asked for comments and because I wanted to show some
motivation for MSEide design.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
Hello Martin.

OK we are old friends now, so we can talk without fear ;-)

I really like your projects and give generously a lot of my energy with
great pleasure.

> I merely wrote because you asked for comments and because I wanted to show
> some
motivation for MSEide design.

I really appreciate your comments and always study it deep.

> I also think that one should be thrifty with options. ;-)

Maybe.  I have to confess that the only thing that disappoints me is the
lack of comments in MSE code.
I remember one of the first advice of a teacher: "Comment in code is very
important and should minimum be 1/3 of the length of code.  In MSE code,
comments = 0 !

Martin, we are not all gurus, there is quasi no help or examples for MSEgui
+ MSEide.

IMHO, nobody will do that for you (it is sad, but it is so).
Yes, I know, I promised long time ago to do it but... it is not possible,
each MSE method must be discovered from scratch, no one single line of
comment will help.

IMHO, it is time for you to take a break in code-creation and concentrate
yourself to comment your code.

My 0,001 cent, of course.

On Monday 17 September 2018 14:50:56 fredvs wrote:

> IMHO, it is time for you to take a break in code-creation and concentrate
> yourself to comment your code.

There are comments when it is necessary. It is proven by the fact that I still
can work without problems with MSEgui code which is almost twenty years old.
Commenting things which are obvious will probably not help that much...
In order to help developing with MSEide+MSEgui I even wrote a "book". Reaction
from users: zero.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

> Fred, you can do with your IDE as you like, I have no problems with it.

No, ideU is the son of MSEide and for each (big) change of enhancement, I
will always ask advice to dad.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

> In order to help developing with MSEide+MSEgui I even wrote a "book".
Reaction from users: zero.

Here the first reaction:  What is that book and where can I find it ?

On Monday 17 September 2018 15:20:27 fredvs wrote:
> > In order to help developing with MSEide+MSEgui I even wrote a "book".
>
> Reaction from users: zero.
>
> Here the first reaction:  What is that book and where can I find it ?

Here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mseuniverse/files/book/

MSEide+MSEgui for beginners, German. Intended audience: pupils and retired
people. ;-)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Speed of MSEide code-editor.

fredvs
> Here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mseuniverse/files/book/

It seems good, what a shame that I do not speak German. ;-(