[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

Graeme Geldenhuys
For some reason the "File -> Exit" menu item doesn't have a shortcut
assigned. Normally that would be Ctrl+Q

It is also missing from the Global Shortcuts dialog where users can
assign or customise shortcuts.

Regards,
  Graeme

screenshot_20200112T135123.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

OK, I will check it.
But, IMHO, Ctrl+Q shortcut is already used to close file in the
source-editor.

Would you be happy if Ctrl+X is used instead?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

What version of mse are you using?

Here, from https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui, for exit, the shortcut
Alt+x is assigned, you have to do Alt+f then Alt+x.

But maybe you prefer to use Ctrl instead of Alt.

A other thing that can be done is to add a independent main-menu-item : Exit
(and so no need to do alt+f first, but only Alt+x).

On 12/01/2020 3:31 pm, fredvs wrote:
> But, IMHO, Ctrl+Q shortcut is already used to close file in the
> source-editor.

I've looked at about 7 apps under my Ubuntu system, most of them use
Ctrl+Q for "File -> Quit" menu item. I did also find some other weird
ones, but Ctrl+Q was the most popular. :-)

> Would you be happy if Ctrl+X is used instead?

I guess it doesn't matter too much what the default is, as long as the
user can customise that action in the Shortcuts ide dialog.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

Graeme Geldenhuys
On 12/01/2020 3:31 pm, fredvs wrote:
> used to close file in the
> source-editor.

That is a very unique shortcut for that action by the way. No idea how
Martin came to use that? The standard is Ctrl+W or Ctrl+F4 (the older
style from long ago), but usually both still work.

In the same way Ctrl+Q of Alt+F4 normally closes the top level window,
which in the case of most applications, means to exit/quit the application.

Regards,
  Graeme

On 12/01/2020 4:18 pm, fredvs wrote:
> What version of mse are you using?

I'm not actually sure - it is a custom build though. I'll pull the
master code and do a full recompile to make sure I have the latest.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

Hello Graeme.

I vote to set those shortcuts as more traditional (even that I highly
respect out-of-the-road things).
(And I will do it for ideU just now).

On 16/01/2020 12:16 am, fredvs wrote:
> I vote to set those shortcuts as more traditional

+1

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

fredvs
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote
> On 16/01/2020 12:16 am, fredvs wrote:
>> I vote to set those shortcuts as more traditional
>
> +1
>
> Regards,
>   Graeme

Indeed, FireFox, Gedit, Thunar ,.. do use Ctrl+Q to quit the application.

By the way, how do you do to quit Lazarus with keyboard?
Here on Lazarus 2.0.6, Ctrl+Q or Alf+F + Alt+Q does not work.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing shortcut in MSEide

fredvs
> By the way, how do you do to quit Lazarus with keyboard?

Ha ok, it is Alt+F4 (but the main form must be focused).

On 16/01/2020 6:26 pm, fredvs wrote:
> Here on Lazarus 2.0.6, Ctrl+Q or Alf+F + Alt+Q does not work.

I would presume that is a bug then - after all, they are so much about
adhering to "standards". :-)

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/