[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing icon smoothing / antialias in OS task manager

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing icon smoothing / antialias in OS task manager

Krzysztof
Hi Martin,

All my icons are from FontAwesome with timagelist.options set to
bmo_colormask := true. I noticed that icon in task manager has bad
look (see attached screenshot). Icon in main window decorator had same
issue but I fixed it with setting tmainfo.icon.options.bmo_colormask
to True too. But seems that it doesn't affect on icon in task manager.
I set it in mainform by:

timagelist1.getimage(iICO16_MAIN, Self.icon);

Same issue in second screenshot, it is list of opened windows
triggered by ALT+TAB shortcut, all MSE related windows have blurry
icons due to stretch effect from 16px to X, for example Opera browser
or other apps has clear high quality icons.
I remember that in Lazarus LCL I had to prepare special icon in Gimp,
it was one .ico file with array of 16px, 24px, 32px...256px and that
icon was set by Application.Icon property and OS could pickup correct
size in his enviromnent but I can't find anything similar in mse
tguiapplication. So my question actually has two issues. One is why
16px icon is not copied from main form into task manager with
antialias (seems that they both are 16px so it is not a matter of
stretch effect). Second, how to set icons with different sizes for OS
needs? About last one, I hope that we are not limited here by GNOME /
KDE Api layer. I think that on linux it could be a matter of prepare
physical .ico file (with all sizes) in some dir compatible with
freedesktop standard, similar what dpkg do with .deb files, I have to
read about that. But what with Windows? I think here all icons sizes
has to be compiled into app executable binary file. Maybe on windows
such icon has to be included as ICO resource

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F6kNUWbS3uQ_VF1qlu1e71KNKVG0gqFF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HNebMQPd_ifAuN-vDJ7C51rCg_qad7_0

Regards

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing icon smoothing / antialias in OS task manager

On 12/31/2017 11:26 PM, Krzysztof wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> All my icons are from FontAwesome with timagelist.options set to
> bmo_colormask := true. I noticed that icon in task manager has bad
> look (see attached screenshot). Icon in main window decorator had same
> issue but I fixed it with setting tmainfo.icon.options.bmo_colormask
> to True too. But seems that it doesn't affect on icon in task manager.
> I set it in mainform by:
>
> timagelist1.getimage(iICO16_MAIN, Self.icon);
>
> Same issue in second screenshot, it is list of opened windows
> triggered by ALT+TAB shortcut, all MSE related windows have blurry
> icons due to stretch effect from 16px to X, for example Opera browser
> or other apps has clear high quality icons.
Suggestion: use a bigger icon resolution than 16x16 which will be scaled
down instead to blow up a 16x16 pixmap.

> I remember that in Lazarus LCL I had to prepare special icon in Gimp,
> it was one .ico file with array of 16px, 24px, 32px...256px and that
> icon was set by Application.Icon property and OS could pickup correct
> size in his enviromnent but I can't find anything similar in mse
> tguiapplication.

*.ICO AFAIK is a Windows format, If you like you can setup _NET_WM_ICON
window property manually in order to provide several sizes. MSEgui
supports a single size per form icon only.

 So my question actually has two issues. One is why
> 16px icon is not copied from main form into task manager with
> antialias (seems that they both are 16px so it is not a matter of
> stretch effect).

For me it looks anti-aliased, see icon1.png. But the stretch filtering
is not smooth as in window decoration (icon2.png). Please ask KDE people
why.

 Second, how to set icons with different sizes for OS
> needs? About last one, I hope that we are not limited here by GNOME /
> KDE Api layer. I think that on linux it could be a matter of prepare
> physical .ico file (with all sizes) in some dir compatible with
> freedesktop standard, similar what dpkg do with .deb files, I have to
> read about that.

or use the _NET_WM_ICON window property.

> But what with Windows? I think here all icons sizes
> has to be compiled into app executable binary file. Maybe on windows
> such icon has to be included as ICO resource

Correct for the application icon, for the window icons I don't know how
different sizes should be provided.

icon1.png (8K) Download Attachment
icon2.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Missing icon smoothing / antialias in OS task manager

Krzysztof
You are right! Just made 64px main icon instead of 16px and it looks
much much better in all OS places, even better than Opera browser
(look at attached screen). I'll leave it as it is, maybe at the end
I'll play more especialy with _NET_WM_ICON because I think this is
what LCL does

Screenshot_20180102_172847.png (20K) Download Attachment