[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Graeme Geldenhuys
I'm using the latest MSEide under Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit) - compiled with
FPC 3.0.4 and GDB 8.1.0.20180409-git (what Ubuntu installed).

Sometimes if I compile and debug my application, then MSEide slows down
drastically. eg pressing Ctrl+F9 takes about 3-5 seconds before I start
seeing compiler output in the Messages window. If I quit and restart the
IDE, then it works fine for a while and I see instant compiler messages.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

I did not note this.

I have GDB (Debian 7.12-6) 7.12.0.20161007-git

I will install GDB 8.1.0.20180409 and see what appends.

Fre;D

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Hello Graeme.

Here on Debian 9.5 64 bit and GDB 8.1.0.2, I do not note some big delay.

No more than delay to load the application in console with:

$ gdb /the/program

In the case if you have installed ideU,
(https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases), do you have the same problem?
This because ideU uses a other process to load the debugger.

On 22/04/2019 16:12, fredvs wrote:
> In the case if you have installed ideU,
> (https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases), do you have the same problem?
> This because ideU uses a other process to load the debugger.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll test and let you know.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr Geldenhuys,

Sie schrieben am Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:33:19 +0100:

> I'm using the latest MSEide under Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit) - compiled with
> FPC 3.0.4 and GDB 8.1.0.20180409-git (what Ubuntu installed).
>
> Sometimes if I compile and debug my application, then MSEide slows down
> drastically. eg pressing Ctrl+F9 takes about 3-5 seconds before I start
> seeing compiler output in the Messages window. If I quit and restart the
> IDE, then it works fine for a while and I see instant compiler messages.
>
> Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Yes, same here. Using mseide-msegui 4.6.2, fpc 3.0.2 ([2018/05/11] for
x86_64) and gdb 8.2.1 under Slackware Linux with kernel 4.19.30.
Usually, restarting the debugger helps out in it, afterwards it reacts
normally again. But it seems to happen also on normal compiles, which
should not even need the debugger at all, still, reloading it removes the
issue.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

fredvs
@ Seighard and Graeme:

Do you have that behavior with previous mse release 4.6 ?

> Sometimes if I compile and debug my application, then MSEide slows down
> drastically. eg pressing Ctrl+F9 takes about 3-5 seconds before I start
> seeing compiler output in the Messages window. If I quit and restart the
> IDE, then it works fine for a while and I see instant compiler messages.
>
> Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Yes, same here. Using mseide-msegui 4.6.2, fpc 3.0.2 ([2018/05/11] for
x86_64) and gdb 8.2.1 under Slackware Linux with kernel 4.19.30.
Usually, restarting the debugger helps out in it, afterwards it reacts
normally again. But it seems to happen also on normal compiles, which
should not even need the debugger at all, still, reloading it removes the
issue.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Re-@ Sieghard and Graeme:

In mse README.TXT, at end:

> Press F9 and hope the best. ;-)
> If there is a debugger timeout at startup enlarge the
>'Project'-'Options'-'Target'-'Wait before connect' value.

Maybe it could help?

Fre;D

Sie schrieben am Mon, 22 Apr 2019 00:33:19 +0100:

> I'm using the latest MSEide under Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit) - compiled with
> FPC 3.0.4 and GDB 8.1.0.20180409-git (what Ubuntu installed).
>
> Sometimes if I compile and debug my application, then MSEide slows down
> drastically. eg pressing Ctrl+F9 takes about 3-5 seconds before I start
> seeing compiler output in the Messages window. If I quit and restart the
> IDE, then it works fine for a while and I see instant compiler messages.
>
> Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Yes, same here. Using mseide-msegui 4.6.2, fpc 3.0.2 ([2018/05/11] for
x86_64) and gdb 8.2.1 under Slackware Linux with kernel 4.19.30.
Usually, restarting the debugger helps out in it, afterwards it reacts
normally again. But it seems to happen also on normal compiles, which
should not even need the debugger at all, still, reloading it removes the
issue.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

fredvs
Re-re @ Sieghard and Graeme.

In project where threads are used, at init, I create a dummy thread to initialize threads.
Otherwise it could have problems:

type
   TDummyThread = Class(TThread)
   protected
   procedure execute; override;
   end;

procedure TDummyThread.Execute;
begin
   FreeOnTerminate:=True;
   Terminate;
end;

And in mainform.oncreate:

 TDummyThread.Create(false);

Maybe do this for mseide too?

OK, I stop, I do not have other ideas.

Fre;D

On 22/04/2019 23:35, Fred van Stappen wrote:
> Do you have that behavior with previous mse release 4.6 ?

Yes, I experience it too with a 4.4.1 build of the IDE.

On 23/04/2019 00:55, Fred van Stappen wrote:
> In project where threads are used

The last few projects I used and experienced this issue was with the
fpGUI demos - they only use one main application thread. So I doubt it
is thread related.

Time permitted I'll see if I can do a 'git bisect' to pinpoint in more
detail when this issue started. I'll also use GDB 7.x and see if that
eliminates the issue. Maybe it is a GDB 8.x issue.

On that point, anybody know how to install GDB 7.x on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?
That version of Ubuntu comes standard with GDB 8.x and I don't see any
GDB 7 packages in the repository.

On 23/04/2019 17:47, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> That version of Ubuntu comes standard with GDB 8.x and I don't see any
> GDB 7 packages in the repository.

I'll test with Lazarus IDE too and see how it performs with GDB 8.x and
if there is a similar problem or not. That would help determine if GDB
is the issue or not.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

Maybe it s the new gdb the guilty  (sorry I did not find time to install the last release).

But what worries me is the remark of Sieghard:

> But it seems to happen also on normal compiles, which
> should not even need the debugger at all, still, reloading it removes the issue.

So it is maybe related with last commits of TMSEProcess.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

>> If there is a debugger timeout at startup enlarge the
>>Project'-'Options'-'Target'-'Wait before connect' value.

> Maybe it could help?

For all the people like me that did not find it, it is in:

Project'-'Options'-' '*Debugger*'-Target'-'Wait before connect' value.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr van Stappen,

Sie schrieben am Tue, 23 Apr 2019 17:56:31 +0000:

> Maybe it s the new gdb the guilty  (sorry I did not find time to install
> the last release).
>
> But what worries me is the remark of Sieghard:
>
> > But it seems to happen also on normal compiles, which
> > should not even need the debugger at all, still, reloading it removes
> > the issue.
>
> So it is maybe related with last commits of TMSEProcess.

This could also be a different issue I found, and which was previously
reported by someone else already.
When I start a compile by function key while the mouse cursor is in a
window different from the source window (Object Inspector, Messages e.g.),
the compile action seems to hang. When moving the mouse cursor back into
the source window, the hanging process gets terminated, and a little
message window with the text "not decorated" appears. This effect never
happens when the mouse cursor is located within the source window when the
compile is started. The effect is reproducible here.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] MSEide sometimes very slow

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr fredvs,

Sie schrieben am Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:13:42 -0700 (MST):

> >> If there is a debugger timeout at startup enlarge the
> >>Project'-'Options'-'Target'-'Wait before connect' value.
>
> > Maybe it could help?
>
> For all the people like me that did not find it, it is in:
>
> Project'-'Options'-' '*Debugger*'-Target'-'Wait before connect' value.

Just tried this suggestion; I used 5sec for the value.
And indeed, the problem doesn't appear any more.
So in the end, the issue does seem to be debugger related, even on a plain
compile that doesn't even attempt to use the debugger at all.

(BTW, I found a couple other inconsistencies and minor issues, e.g. there's
a problem with the filedialog not finding an "images" field [noone using
this with msegui programs?], inconsistent "state file" in-/output [saving
different data from what is retrieved], not-user-accessible font and color
dialogs [the color dialog is, but it cannot be positioned at all], and
there are probabely a few more I didn't hit yet. Oh yeah, one more: there's
no "find" dialog, I'd need one...)