[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

Graeme Geldenhuys

When you currently double click a word in the editor, it does nothing.
All other editors will select the word you double clicked. With MSEide
you need to hold down SHIFT while you double click to get the same
behaviour, which is a bit annoying.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

Indeed, for mseide you need to press the shift key to select a word.

But if you use ideU, by default you dont have to use the shift key:

;-)

Fre;D

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

Hello Graeme.

About changing original behavior of mseide.

What do you think to enable selection without shift key by "define" ?

If you want selection without shift, add -dnoshiftedit.

And in code:

{$ifdef noshiftedit}
// code without using shift key
{$else}
// code using shift key
{$endif}

The idea of Martin was to use 2xclick to jump to the declaration of
selection.

I prefer to do the reverse (see ideU)  2xclick+shift to jump to the
declaration of selection.
And 2xclick alone to select a word (or line if re-2xclick).

So, to resume, option or not?

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

> When you currently double click a word in the editor, it does nothing.

To enable "auto-jumper" to declaration, you should add the search paths in
"Project Options"  "Debugger"  "Source Directories".
It is a good idea to add the path of fpc, fpgui, external components, etc,
---> all can be be "auto-jumped".

On 22/04/2019 13:16, fredvs wrote:
> It is a good idea to add the path of fpc, fpgui, external components, etc,
> ---> all can be be "auto-jumped".

Yes, I have been doing this for years with MSEide.  :-)  I have
extensive project templates that I use, and use the Save/Load project
options a LOT!

Regards,
  Graeme

On 22/04/2019 12:56, fredvs wrote:
> The idea of Martin was to use 2xclick to jump to the declaration of
> selection.

I never understood why Martin did not standardise the behaviour like all
other IDEs do.

 * double click a word in the editor selects the word
 * Ctrl+LClick navigates to the declaration

Lazarus, Delphi, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, Visual Studio etc all behave as
above.

MSEide not.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

> Lazarus, Delphi, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, Visual Studio etc all behave as

Yes, I did try to convince Martin bu wihout luck.

So ok to change code?
With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?

On 22/04/2019 20:09, fredvs wrote:
> So ok to change code?
> With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?

I personally think the code and behaviour should change to conform with
the standard behaviour seen in all other development tools and
programmer editors. I wouldn't bother with IFDEFs as that will simply
confuse the code more than anything else.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

OK, done in last commit 3929f5ce1.

Fre;D

> With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?

I personally think the code and behaviour should change to conform with
the standard behaviour seen in all other development tools and
programmer editors. I wouldn't bother with IFDEFs as that will simply
confuse the code more than anything else.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

PatG

On 4/22/19 3:39 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 22/04/2019 20:09, fredvs wrote:
>> So ok to change code?
>> With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?
> I personally think the code and behaviour should change to conform with
> the standard behaviour seen in all other development tools and
> programmer editors. I wouldn't bother with IFDEFs as that will simply
> confuse the code more than anything else.

I would agree.

Standardize to what all other editors do.  Try to identify any other non
standard actions Martin has.

But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual
changes if possible.

Patrick

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs
Hello Patrick.

> But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual changes if possible.

Not sure to understand, the fix was to change in sourcepage.pas, line 1255:

if edit.isdblclicked(info.mouseeventinfopo^) and
       (info.mouseeventinfopo^.shiftstate*[ss_double,ss_shift,ss_left] =
                             [ss_double,ss_shift,ss_left]) then begin

With that:

if edit.isdblclicked(info.mouseeventinfopo^) then begin

How to do this in individual changes?

Fre;D

On 4/22/19 3:39 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 22/04/2019 20:09, fredvs wrote:
>> So ok to change code?
>> With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?
> I personally think the code and behaviour should change to conform with
> the standard behaviour seen in all other development tools and
> programmer editors. I wouldn't bother with IFDEFs as that will simply
> confuse the code more than anything else.

I would agree.

Standardize to what all other editors do.  Try to identify any other non
standard actions Martin has.

But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual
changes if possible.

Patrick

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

Re-hello.

Maybe you ask to check if double-click-alone was used for something else?

I do not think so, I did many check for ideU and it appears that all others double-click are used in conjunction of other key-press, like Ctrl, Shift.
I did not found double-click-alone (without Shift or Ctrl) used by mseide.

Fre;D

On 4/22/19 3:39 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 22/04/2019 20:09, fredvs wrote:
>> So ok to change code?
>> With or without {ifdef noshiftforselect}?
> I personally think the code and behaviour should change to conform with
> the standard behaviour seen in all other development tools and
> programmer editors. I wouldn't bother with IFDEFs as that will simply
> confuse the code more than anything else.

I would agree.

Standardize to what all other editors do.  Try to identify any other non
standard actions Martin has.

But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual
changes if possible.

Patrick

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

PatG

On 4/22/19 4:59 PM, Fred van Stappen wrote:
Hello Patrick.

> But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual changes if possible.

Not sure to understand, the fix was to change in sourcepage.pas, line 1255:

if edit.isdblclicked(info.mouseeventinfopo^) and
       (info.mouseeventinfopo^.shiftstate*[ss_double,ss_shift,ss_left] =
                             [ss_double,ss_shift,ss_left]) then begin

With that:

if edit.isdblclicked(info.mouseeventinfopo^) then begin

How to do this in individual changes?

Fre;D

I meant if there were other non standard key combinations (like the double-click on a word) Martin used.

If there are no others then nothing else to worry about.

On 22/04/2019 21:15, Patrick Goupell wrote:
> But don't try to do it all in one fix.  Break it down into individual
> changes if possible.

Good point - makes for much easier regression testing too.

On 22/04/2019 22:10, Fred van Stappen wrote:
> I do not think so, I did many check for ideU and it appears that all
> others double-click are used in conjunction of other key-press, like
> Ctrl, Shift. I did not found double-click-alone (without Shift or
> Ctrl) used by mseide.

I remember having a discussion about this a long time ago. I quick
search revealed the following info from Martin.

https://www.mail-archive.com/mseide-msegui-talk@.../msg09612.html

"
In MSEide double click is consequently used for window navigation. In
source editor double click shows the breakpoints window if there is a
breakpoint set in the according row.
"

So it seems to have a behaviour assigned, ONLY if a breakpoint exists on
that same line. Probably occurs extremely seldom, so I don't think
anything further needs to be done Fred. The most common and desired
behaviour is to select a word on double-clicking, so if that exists, it
should be a good improvement.

I'll pull the latest code and test your selection changes.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs

> I remember having a discussion about this a long time ago. I quick
> search revealed the following info from Martin.

https://www.mail-archive.com/mseide-msegui-talk@.../msg09612.html

Ooops, yes, of course I remember too now.
And so, fake news, there is one 2xclick still assigned and I just find it now.

OK, for, in place of 2xclick-alone on a breakpoint, use 2xclick + shift ?

Well spotted Graeme.

On 22/04/2019 00:43, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> When you currently double click a word in the editor, it does nothing.

Thanks Fred. I tested with the latest MSEide and it works perfectly now. :)

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

Sieghard
Sehr geehrter Herr Geldenhuys,

Sie schrieben am Tue, 23 Apr 2019 18:05:39 +0100:

> In MSEide double click is consequently used for window navigation. In
> source editor double click shows the breakpoints window if there is a
> So it seems to have a behaviour assigned, ONLY if a breakpoint exists on
> that same line. Probably occurs extremely seldom, so I don't think
> anything further needs to be done Fred. The most common and desired

If this (default) behaviour is not disabled, or switched to the noq unused
combination, wouldn't you expect that, in the case the conditions
triggering it apply, some "interesting" (i.e. nasty) reaction might occur?
So, I think the best way to handle this would be to simply exchange the
beviours each condition trigger and so avoid any possible collisions.

(Weitergabe von Adressdaten, Telefonnummern u.ä. ohne Zustimmung
nicht gestattet, ebenso Zusendung von Werbung oder ähnlichem)

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Feature Request: double click select word in editor

fredvs
Hello Seighard.

> So, I think the best way to handle this would be to simply exchange the
> beviours each condition trigger and so avoid any possible collisions.

Yes, it is what was done in last commit.