[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

[MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

Graeme Geldenhuys
Hi,

Something that has been bothering me for ages. The look of the bookmark
numbers in the editor gutter should really be improved. See attached
screenshot [screenshot_mseide_default.png] where I show bookmark (1) and
(3).

Sure, functionally wise they work. But to put it bluntly, they look
ugly. Also in the case of (1), it is rendered to the left and not 100%
centred.

In the second screenshot [screenshot_improved_bookmarks.png], I show
numbered bookmarks from the EditPad Pro application. The bookmarks are
still quite simple in design, but look so much better. The number is
also evenly centred inside the rectangle.

Some editors draw much more fancy looking bookmark icons. eg: rounded
rectangles, a real looking bookmark, numbered circles etc. But I think
something as simple as what EditPad Pro does, will suffice nicely for
MSEide.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

screenshot_mseide_default.png (1K) Download Attachment
screenshot_improved_bookmarks.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

OK, I will (try to)  fix it asap.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

In last https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/commit/ there are new icons for
bookmark (see bookmark_ideu.png) .

<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/bookmark_ideu.png>

I vote to use it for MSEide too.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

> Also in the case of (1), it is rendered to the left and not 100% centred.

Yes, it is because it can be a bookmark icon and a watchpoint at the same
line.
What can easy be done is to invert the position (left watchpoint, right
bookmark) but centered will be a problem if both icons must appear.

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

fredvs
Re_hello.

OK, reversed the position of bookmark icons, it looks better, imho.

<http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/bookmark2_ideu.png>

It was committed in ideU, I wait for the vote for MSEide.

On 19/01/2020 7:33 pm, fredvs wrote:
> <http://mseide-msegui-talk.13964.n8.nabble.com/file/t2/bookmark_ideu.png>
>
> I vote to use it for MSEide too.

Either of the two bookmark samples you showed looks much better than the
current one. So go with whatever sample you think looks best.  :-)

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [MSEide-MSEgui-talk] Cosmetic: bookmarks in editor gutter could be improved

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

Thanks to the big majority of positive votes for your propositions, it was
committed it in 8b44425.
https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/commit/

To resume:
New bookmark icons and position.
Added Ctrl+Q shortcut to quit application.
Added Shift+Ctrl+N to set all bookmarks to none (remove all).